Tuesday, 14 September 2010

The Bag Making Bible - Review

When I received this book I sat down and read it from cover to cover. It is a fantastic resource, full of inspiration not only for absolute beginner bag makers, but also those who want to try new techniques to customise their own designs.  It is packed full of instructions on everything you need to know in order to make a bag, e.g. magnetic snaps, zippers, handles, piping, linings, interfacing… the list goes on.  Rather than fill a book with her own bag designs, Lisa encourages her readers to have a go at designing and making bags for themselves using her foolproof techniques.  It is by far the best bag book I have read, and I have read plenty! 

I have already put several of Lisa’s techniques into practice and they have made a real difference to the quality of the bags I make.  Having a one-stop resource on how to insert a zip, attach a magnetic fastener or deciding which interfacing to use would have saved me so much time when I first began making bags, rather than surfing the internet to find tutorials!

There are also 8 full sized patterns in the book together with instructions on how to put them together.  As a bonus, if, like me, you have trouble sourcing things like fusible fleece and bag handles, Lisa runs her own online shop for bag making supplies – so you only need to look in one place for those too!

My advice to anyone who makes, or wants to make bags – BUY IT! 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenny
    My copy of this book arrived yesterday and I'm about halfway through - I agree with everything you say - particularly "BUY IT" !!
    Gill

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, I love to hear from you!

wibiya widget